We celebrated Science Week in Secondary in Week 8 at WHSC.
Across the Secondary, students hypothesised, designed, created, investigated, destroyed, and competed in a range of Science Week excitement. Last year, we enjoyed everything that the Science Department could put on, but this year we drew our inspiration from the theme – Food Different by Design.
Food has such interesting components and the Science staff decided to highlight some cool science behind popular food items. Throughout the week students explored food in the following ways:
- They discussed the importance of ratio and method in making Honeycomb – and then enjoyed some plain or choc dipped.
- They learnt about Bubble Tea and then put their creative hats on and made their own flavoured bubbles to have in some iced tea of their choice.
- They learnt about the process of making Kimchi and sampled different varieties our senior students made for them.
- They tested their senses at a Sensory Food display, trying to guess what was hidden in the boxes.
- They learnt about the process of simple carbonation when Mr Collins brewed Ginger Beer with our new brew kit.
Additional to the food-related fun, we also ran a Trivia Competition, Science Challenge Day, Egg Drop Challenge and the prestigious Staff vs Student Titration Competition.
Thank you to all the students who participated and engaged with the Science activities for the week, and thank you to the amazing staff who ran them.